Friday, January 11, 2019 3:30 AM
ECO NIWAS SAMHITA 2018
Bureau of Energy Efficiency and Central Public Works Department (CPWD) sign Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on encouraging energy efficiency in buildings. According to Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), Bureau of Energy Efficient (BEE) and Central Public Works Department (CPWD) will concentrate and promote designs, engineering and construction of Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) complaisant new buildings. These new type of buildings will receive star rating of CPWD managed buildings sector and support & guidance for capacity building of CPWD officials in ECBC.
ECO Niwas Samhita 2018
- Energy Conservation building Code (ECBC) for residential buildings launched on 14th December 2018.
- Objective is to encourage and promote energy efficient town planning for residential sector.
- ECO Niwas Samhita 2018 was launched by the Ministry of Power.
Aim of ECO Niwas Samhita 2018
Modern way to increase energy efficiency and benefit the residents and environment by promoting construction of energy efficient building, houses and townships.
Roles and Responsibilities (Roles of BEE)
- Assessment and Processing of application for star rating of residential construction.
- Preliminary inquiry and inspection of the application.
- Data verification and validation of buildings under CPWD.
- Installation, monitoring and maintenance of smart meters.
- Awarding of Certificate & Label to concerned entity.
- Support and Guidance for Energy Efficiency in Residential Buildings.
- Support and Guidance for election of ECBC compliant buildings/construction.
- Efficient association with CPWD
- Capacity building of CPWD authorities/officials
Role of CPWD
- Completely filled application form to gain start rating.
- Guidance and response to data verification and monitoring.
- Election of ECBC Compliant buildings.
- Guidance and Support for Energy Efficiency in Residential Buildings.
- Efficient association with Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE).
It it firmly believed that following enterprise will have positive impact, with expected energy saving more than 250 million and above in first phase, and realised operational cost saving of about ₹100 crore.
Star Rating for Commercial Buildings
- Accounts the actual performance of the residential building measured in energy consumption/energy usage in kwh/sqm/year.
- Buildings are rated on the numerical start scale of 1-5, the number 5 star being most and number 1 being least energy efficient.
- The energy efficiency certificate/labels issued are applicable for the period of 5 years from the date of issuance. This is on voluntary basis.
- It helps create recognition and awareness of energy efficiency and energy saving among residents and generate a “demand side” pull.
- Wide variety of building are identified and compartmentalised into five climate zones.
- Commercial Office Buildings.
- ITs and BPOs office buildings.
- City Center and Shopping Malls.
- Hospitals and Health Centre
About Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) is a enacted body, established by by the Government of India on 1st March 2002 in pursuance of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- The core mission is help develop policies and implementation strategies with required thrust and appropriate-regulation and market principles with preliminary priority or objective of reducing the ever rising intensity energy demand overload of the Indian economy with implementation of complete framework of the Energy Conservation Act, 2001.
- This will be actualised, with active participation of all stakeholders realising into mass-accelerated and sustained embrace of energy efficiency in all target sectors.
About Central Public Works Department (CPWD)
- Central Public Works Department (CPWD) was established quite early, in July 1854 (British India), Lord Dalhousie established a centralised institution for realisation of the public works and established Ajmer Provincial Division.
- The institution is led by Director General (DG) who in return is also the Principal Technical Advisor to the Government of India.
- It is located all over India and broad and strong capability to undertake even the complex projects.
- The institution has been into the erection of the stadium and required infrastructure needed for Asian Games 1982 and Commonwealth Games 2010.
- Proudly the CPWD is also involved into the construction of the Afghanistan Parliament Building with the aid of USD 90 million from the Govt. of India. The construction started in 2007 to pinpoint the friendship of India-Afghanistan.